Almost every time I get together with my sisters we make stuffed mushrooms. It's a given. Stuffed with sausage or crab, it doesn't really matter - they are usually gone within 5 minutes... and we never make enough. This past Family Day was no different. We busted out the stuffed mushrooms....
Spinach, Bacon & Cream Cheese Stuffed Mushrooms
These mushrooms come together in a snap. The perfect appetizer for a family get-together or potluck. Mushrooms can be prepped and stuffed a few hours in advance, and refrigerated until they are ready to be popped into the oven.
24-28 medium white stuffer mushrooms
1 brick cream cheese (softened at room temperature)
1 small bag frozen spinach, thawed and drained
6 bacon stripes, cooked and crumbled
1 cup grated cheddar cheese
1. Preheat oven to 350.
2. Rinse mushrooms and pat dry with paper towels.
3. Remove stems and set aside. If mushrooms are too closed up you may wish to cut out some of the gills to make room for the stuffing. Finely chop the stems and gills, and set aside.
4. In a bowl, mix together cream cheese, thawed spinach, the chopped stems & gills, and bacon bits. I find freshly prepared bacon bits taste the best.
5. Spoon filling into mushroom caps and top evenly with grated cheddar cheese. Place on a baking tray lined with parchment paper.
6. Bake until mushrooms are soft and cheese on top is melted, approximately 15-20 minutes. Serve immediately.
What is your favourite 5 ingredient recipe?